Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Jewish Rehabilitation Center for Aged of the North Shore (JRC) was founded in 1945 as a convalescent home for the elderly in the North Shore Jewish community. Over the years, the organization expanded and became a permanent residence for the elderly, and with the opening of its assisted living facility in Peabody, the JRC became the largest not-for-profit home for the elderly on the North Shore. The collection contains programs for meetings and events, as well as a small group of...
Dates: undated, circa 1961-2004
Abstract Morton Shanok was the cantor at Temple Beth El in Lynn (and later Swampscott) for 32 years and, after his retirement, High Holiday Cantor at Temple B’nai Abraham and Religious Cultural Coordinator at the Jewish Rehabilitation Center for Aged. He served in the U.S. Army as assistant army chaplain from 1942-1945. He was a founding member of the Cantors Assembly and helped write the curriculum at the H.L. Miller Cantorial School and College of Jewish Music of the Jewish Theological Seminary. The...
Dates: undated, circa 1943-2002
Abstract Temple Beth El was founded in Lynn in 1924. In 1946, members of the congregation split off to form Temple Israel, and in 1968, Temple Beth El expanded from its Lynn location to Swampscott. The two temples reunited in 2005 to become Congregation Shirat Hiyam. This collection contains documents related to many areas of synagogue life, including general membership, the music program, the Religious School, temple governance, and the Sisterhood.
Dates: undated, circa 1924-2006