Abraham and Frieda Wolper Papers
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains letters sent to the Wolpers denouncing their petition. Many of the letters are anti-Semitic in nature, arguing that the Wolpers are anti-American and should go back to Russia. Newspaper clippings about the petition and letters to the School Board, including the one withdrawing the petition, are included.
- Wolper, Abraham (Person)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
Abraham and Frieda Wolper were Jewish parents in Chelsea, Massachusetts. In 1949, the Wolpers submitted a petition with the school board about Christmas carols and displays of Christmas pageants in public schools. Criticism from Jews and non-Jews, including virulently anti-Semitic correspondence sent to the Wolpers, forced them to withdraw their petition.
0.25 linear feet (1 half manuscript box)
The Wolpers were a Jewish family from Chelsea, Massachusetts. In 1949, they issued a petition to the school board, raising concerns about Christmas carols and pageants in public schools. The resulting negative criticism from Jews and non-Jews, as well as the anti-Semitic letters sent to the Wolpers, eventually caused them to remove the petition. The collection includes the letters sent to the Wolpers, as well as newspaper clippings and correspondence with the school board.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Acquisition information unknown.
Reprocessed by Stephanie Call, 2009
- Guide to Abraham and Frieda Wolper Papers, P-531
- Reprocessed by Stephanie Call
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Processed by Stephanie Call, Schilder Assistant Archivist, made possible by a grant from the Schilder Family Fund. This collection has been digitized, made possible by a grant from the Trustees u/w of Herman Dana.