Skip to main content

Beth Israel Hospital (Boston, Mass) Records

 Collection
Identifier: I-455

Scope and Content Note

This collection is comprised of annual reports, bi-annual reports, pamphlets, a menu and a bound edition of reprinted articles and studies by the staff of Beth Israel Hospital. Also included are the following publications: Beth Israel News, The Record, and Wellbeing. This collection contains records prior to the merger with Deaconess Medical Center.

Dates

  • undated, 1923, 1930-1964, 1988, 1991-1992

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is in English.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Use Restrictions

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

In 1916, the Jewish community of Boston established Beth Israel Hospital on Townsend Street in Roxbury to provide health care to immigrants in the area. Although accessible to everyone, the hospital provided Yiddish-speaking services for Eastern European Jewish immigrants and served kosher food, as well as conducted Jewish religious services. The 45-bed hospital had several departments, including Medical Services, Surgical Services and Special Services, which encompassed laryngology, neurology, genitourinary surgery, gynecology, ophthalmologic surgery, pathology, serology-bacteriology, dermatology, radiology, anesthesiology and dental surgery. A school of nursing opened in 1918 to encourage Jewish women to enter the profession, and was later followed by a social services department in 1920. The hospital also opened and administered outpatient clinics for the treatment of diabetes and tuberculosis, and care of babies.

In 1928 the hospital entered into a teaching agreement with Harvard Medical School, Tufts University, and Simmons College. Shortly thereafter, the hospital moved to its current location in the Longwood area of Boston and expanded to a 220-bed operation. During 1935-1936, at the height of the Depression, Beth Israel spent 1.5 million dollars in free patient care and was only one of two local hospitals to offer health care to people on welfare.

In 1996, Beth Israel Hospital merged with Deaconess Medical Center and became Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

References

  1. Materials from the collection.
  2. "The History of BIDMC." Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. August 9, 2010 (http://www.bidmc.org/AboutBIDMC/TheHistoryofBIDMC.aspx)

Chronology

1915
Certificate of Incorporation issued to charter members of Beth Israel Hospital.
1916
Beth Israel is established.
1918
Beth Israel opens its nursing school.
1920
The social services department is created.
1928
Beth Israel enters into teaching agreements with Harvard Medical School, Tufts University, and Simmons College.
1928
Beth Israel moves to the Longwood area of Boston. Eleven outpatient clinics are in operation at this time.
1930
Beth Israel has 28 outpatient clinics.
1935-1936
Beth Israel spends 1.5 million dollars in free patient care.
1936
Beth Israel is one of only two Boston hospitals to accept patients on welfare.
1996
Beth Israel and Deaconess Medical Center merge to become Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Extent

0.5 linear feet (1 manuscript box)

Abstract

In 1916, the Jewish community of Boston established Beth Israel Hospital on Townsend Street in Roxbury to provide health care to immigrants in the area. Although accessible to everyone, the hospital provided Yiddish-speaking services for Eastern European Jewish immigrants and served kosher food, as well as conducted Jewish religious services. In 1928 the hospital entered into a teaching agreement with Harvard Medical School, Tufts University, and Simmons College. Shortly thereafter, the hospital moved to its current location in the Longwood area of Boston and expanded to a 220-bed operation. During 1935-1936, at the height of the Depression, Beth Israel spent 1.5 million dollars in free patient care and was only one of two local hospitals to offer health care to people on welfare. In 1996, Beth Israel Hospital merged with Deaconess Medical Center and became Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. This collection contains reports, pamphlets and hospital publications.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Acquisition information is unknown.

Related Material

Papers of Dr. Samuel Goodman, P-629

Processing Information

Reprocessed by Stephanie Call, 2010
Title
Guide to Beth Israel Hospital (Boston, Mass) Records, I-455
Author
Reprocessed by Stephanie Call
Date
2010

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245