Skip to main content

Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: JHCI-004

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains brochures, newspaper clippings, events materials, and newsletters documenting the outreach and funding efforts of the Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England. Included are several brochures soliciting funds, a 1931 ticket to the sanatorium’s third annual ball, a 1928 concert program, and a 1949 annual yearbook, Also included are newspaper articles announcing the dedication of the Rutland facility and solicitations of support, as well as a newsletter.

Dates

  • undated, 1928-1954

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Conditions Governing Use

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England was founded and chartered in 1927 by Bella Doxer, Dora Lukatch, Eva Blender, and Fannie Bocholtz. A facility in Rutland was dedicated in 1936. It had a number of specialists and physicians, along with a dental clinic, x-ray machines, and breathing machines. Dr. Moses J. Stone, who worked with the sanatorium for 16 years until his death in 1952, served as its first chief of staff. The facility promoted a Jewish environment and served kosher food, but was non-sectarian and open to all. Funding was mainly provided by members and donations, with minimal charges to patrons.

The sanatorium looked into opening a facility in Boston and changed its name to the New England Sinai Hospital in 1952. That year, it purchased land at 215 Forest Hills Street in Boston’s Jamaica Plain neighborhood and began a campaign to raise $500,000 to renovate the building into a new hospital. The new facility opened in 1955. In 1976, the New England Sinai Hospital moved to Stoughton, Massachusetts, where it operated as a post-acute care facility for those recovering from serious illness. In 2012 the hospital was purchased by the Steward Health Care System and added to the Steward network of hospitals.

References

  1. Material from the collection.
  2. Weisman, Robert. “Steward to acquire Stoughton's N.E. Sinai: Firm drawn to hospital's post-acute care services,” Boston Globe, April 4, 2012, B.7.
  3. “New England Sinai Hospital Plans April 29, 30 Event,” Jewish Advocate, April 4, 1963, 5.

Chronology

1927
The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England is founded.
1936
The organization opens its facility in Rutland.
1952
The organization buys land at 215 Forest Hills Street in Boston.
The organization changes its name to the New England Sinai Hospital.
1954
The organization moves to its building in Boston.
1976
The organization moves to Stoughton.

Extent

0.25 linear feet (1 half-manuscript box)

Abstract

The Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England was founded in 1927 to provide a place for those afflicted with tuberculosis to recover. It was a non-sectarian hospital that provided for leisure, the latest medicine and treatments, and recreation. This collection contains brochures, event programs, newspaper articles, and newsletters.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Some acquisition information is unknown; 1949 anniversary luncheon year book donated by Steve Greenberg in 2018.

Processing Information

Processed by Christopher Russell, 2019
Title
Guide to the Jewish Tuberculosis Sanatorium of New England (Rutland, Mass.) Records, JHCI-004
Author
Christopher Russell
Date
2019
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245