Skip to main content

Hebrew College Records

 Collection
Identifier: I-451

Scope and Content Note

This collection is comprised of brochures, catalogs, commencement addresses, event fliers, invitations, pamphlets and publications. The documents describe various academic conferences, annual book festivals and adult education lectures and courses. Also included in this collection is general information concerning the Hebrew High School.

The collection also contains programmatic and course information from the years the College was located in Roxbury and Brookline. In 2002, the College moved to a new campus in Newton, Massachusetts, where they established a Rabbinical School in 2003. Records for the College following the year of this move are located at Hebrew College.

Dates

  • undated, 1928-1996

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is in English.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Use Restrictions

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

Louis Hurwich, then superintendent of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Boston, founded Hebrew Teacher's College in 1921. Hurwich was concerned about Jewish teachers leaving the field of Jewish education for other professions and sought an educational system that promoted Hebrew literacy at all levels. At its inception, the College faculty taught only in Hebrew, a practice that changed in the later half of the 20th century. The school's first dean, Dr. Nissan Touroff, was the former director of the educational system in Palestine. Dr. Touroff and his faculty taught classes in the Bible, Talmud, and Hebrew Literature.

In the first year, the College had 23 students, a number that more than doubled to 50 by the end of its second year. In 1952, the College moved from its original address on Crawford Street in Roxbury to 43 Hawes Street in Brookline. The College was now under the auspices of Associated Jewish Philanthropies (now Combined Jewish Philanthropies) and achieved accreditation from the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools in 1955. It later received accreditation from the Israeli Ministry of Education and Culture in order to train elementary school teachers to work in Israeli classrooms.

Hebrew Teacher's College was also responsible for maintaining Hebrew High School (Prozdor), located at 14 Crawford Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts. Those students who graduated from the high school could matriculate to Hebrew Teacher's College without having to take an exam. In 1943, the high school offered Talmud classes in addition to its regular curriculum, with studies in the Bible, Hebrew, Jewish History, and codes and customs.

The Women's Association of Hebrew College was founded in 1931 and focused on providing lunch to students, implemented a book festival to assist with the development of the library, and provided scholarship funds for students.

In 2002, the College moved to its current location in Newton, Massachusetts. One year later, it opened its Rabbinical School.

References

  1. "History of Hebrew College," Hebrew College. August 9, 2010 (http://www.hebrewcollege.edu/history)

Chronology

1921
Hebrew Teacher's College founded in Roxbury, Massachusetts.
1922
A total of 23 students are enrolled at the College.
1923
A total of 50 students are enrolled at the College.
1923
Hebrew High School founded.
1927
Hebrew High School becomes a four-year institution.
1931
The Women's Association of Hebrew College is founded.
1943
Hebrew High School offers Talmud classes.
1952
The College moves to 43 Hawes Street, Brookline, Massachusetts.
1955
The College is accredited by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.
2002
Hebrew College moves to Newton, Massachusetts.
2003
Hebrew College opens its Rabbinical School.

Extent

1.5 linear feet (3 manuscript boxes)

Abstract

Louis Hurwich, then superintendent of the Bureau of Jewish Education of Boston, founded Hebrew Teacher’s College in 1921. Hurwich was concerned about Jewish teachers leaving the field of Jewish education for other professions and sought an educational system that promoted Hebrew literacy at all levels. Hebrew Teacher’s College was also responsible for maintaining Hebrew High School (Prozdor), located at 14 Crawford Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts. Those students who graduated from the high school could matriculate to Hebrew Teacher’s College without having to take an exam. In 1943, the high school offered Talmud classes in addition to its regular curriculum, with studies in the Bible, Hebrew, Jewish History, and codes and customs. In 2002, the College moved to its current location in Newton, Massachusetts. One year later, it opened its Rabbinical School. This collection contains brochures, catalogs, commencement addresses, event fliers, invitations, pamphlets and publications.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Acquisition information is unknown.

Processing Information

Reprocessed by Stephanie Call, 2010
Title
Guide to the Hebrew College Records, I-451
Author
Reprocessed by Stephanie Call
Date
2010

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245