Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Abstract Rabbi Aaron Gorovitz was born in Lithuania in 1870. He immigrated to New York at the age of 22. Before moving to Boston, he was one of the founders of Etz Chaim Yeshiva (later the Rabbi Isaac Elchonon Rabbinical College) and Yeshiva Jacob Joseph, organized the St. John, New Brunswick branch of the Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society, and served as a rabbi in St. John, New Jersey, North Adams, Massachusetts and Woonsocket, Rhode Island before moving to Boston in 1907. Until the end of his life he was...
Abstract The Anshey Dowig Association began in the last quarter of the 19th century, initially as informal meetings for Jews from the region of Dowig, Lithuania, living in the Boston area. The association functioned as a benefit society for its members and in 1898, with the acquisition of burial plots in a cemetery in West Roxbury, it also established itself as a chevra kadisha or burial society. By the 1980s, as membership dropped, it began working towards reviving the...
Abstract Beth Hamidrash Hagodol (known colloquially as the Crawford Street Shul), was founded in 1913 in a small house on Harold Street in Roxbury, Boston, Massachusetts. In 1915, the cornerstone of the synagogue was placed at 105 Crawford Street in the Elm Hill District of Roxbury. The congregation elected Louis M. Epstein as their first Rabbi in 1918. This collection contains the business, activity and social records of Beth Hamidrash Hagodol, including correspondence, financial records, ledgers,...
Abstract In 1916, the Jewish community of Boston established Beth Israel Hospital on Townsend Street in Roxbury to provide health care to immigrants in the area. Although accessible to everyone, the hospital provided Yiddish-speaking services for Eastern European Jewish immigrants and served kosher food, as well as conducted Jewish religious services. In 1928 the hospital entered into a teaching agreement with Harvard Medical School, Tufts University, and Simmons College. Shortly thereafter, the...
Overview This collection contains materials of the Congregation Adath Jeshurun, the founding institution of the Jewish community in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston. The main materials cover the last twenty years of the congregation’s existence, a period marked by the decline of the Jewish population of Roxbury which ultimately resulted in the congregation’s demise. The main part of the collection consists of minute books that record the activities of the congregation during this period as well as the...
Abstract Congregation Mishkan Tefila was founded in 1858 as Mishkan Israel, and is considered to be the oldest conservative synagogue in New England. Its founding members were East Prussian Jews who separated from Ohabei Shalom, which was predominately Polish at the time. In 1894, Mishkan Israel and another conservative synagogue, Shaarei Tefila, merged to form Congregation Mishkan Tefila. The synagogue moved its religious school to Walnut Street in Newton in 1955, and began planning for a new building...
Abstract The Jewish Women’s College Club was an organization in Boston’s Jewish community, active from 1921 to 2005, that was founded to provide scholarships to Jewish women pursuing a college or university education. This collection contains concert programs and invitations to the events put on by the organization.
Abstract Percy Brand was a violinist by profession and Holocaust survivor. Born in Liepaja, Latvia on April 2, 1908, he began playing violin at the age of ten. In 1941, when the Germans took control of Latvia and other Baltic countries, Brand was concertmaster of the Riga Latvian Symphony Orchestra. After the SS Einsatzgruppen units occupying Latvia killed his first wife and two children, Brand was sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp in Germany. Playing the violin saved his life during the...
Abstract At the time these photographs were taken in 1981 and 1985, Steven Kellerman was a machinist with an interest in synagogue history. This particular collection of photographs started with Kellerman’s visits to former synagogues in Dorchester and Roxbury, Massachusetts; the project expanded to include most of Massachusetts and other states.
- Subject: Roxbury (Boston, Mass.) X
- Adath Jeshurun Cemetery Association 1
- Anshey Dowig Association 1
- Associated Jewish Philanthropies (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Benkovitz, Icik 1
- Berry, Yale J. 1
- Beth Hamidrash Hagodol (Crawford Street Shul) (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center 1
- Beth Israel Hospital (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Brand, Gertrude 1
- Brand, Percy 1
- Braslavsky, Solomon G., 1887-1975 1
- Combined Jewish Philanthropies of Greater Boston 1
- Congregation Adath Jeshurun (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Congregation Mishkan Tefila (Chestnut Hill, Mass.) 1
- Congregation Mishkan Tefila (Chestnut Hill, Mass.). Board of Trustees 1
- Crawford Street Shul (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Epstein, Louis M., 1887-1949 1
- Gorovitz, Aaron 1
- Grossman, Benjamin 1
- Jewish Women's College Club (Boston, Mass.) 1
- Kellerman, Steven 1
- Latvijas nacionālais simfoniskais ork̦estris 1
- Massachusetts Board of Rabbis 1
- Rabbinical Association of Greater Boston 1
- Rubenovitz, Herman H. 1
- Rubenovitz, Mignon L. (Mignon Levine) 1
- Zuber, Jacob 1 ∧ less