Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Anshey Dowig Association began in the last quarter of the 19th century, initially as informal meetings for Jews from the region of Dowig, Lithuania, living in the Boston area. The association functioned as a benefit society for its members and in 1898, with the acquisition of burial plots in a cemetery in West Roxbury, it also established itself as a chevra kadisha or burial society. By the 1980s, as membership dropped, it began working towards reviving the...
Overview The Hebrew Teachers Association of Greater Boston was founded in 1909. Its primary purpose was to unite qualified Jewish educators and to provide for their material and spiritual status. The Association first developed a curriculum based on the Bible, the Hebrew language and Jewish history in 1918. It was revised by a committee including the greater Boston Hebrew school principals, the Bureau of Jewish Education and prominent rabbis in 1922. The Association was also involved with Jewish...
Dates: undated, 1934-1956
Abstract The Ostro Hebrew Marshoe Society was the overseer of the Ostro Hebrew Marshoe Cemetery, located on Baker Street in West Roxbury, Massachusetts. In 1984, it merged with the Jewish Cemetery Association of Massachusetts, which is now responsible for the care of the cemetery. This series contains by-laws of the Society and its Cemetery Association.