Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Incorporated in 1901, Congregation Ahabat Sholom constructed a German Romanesque synagogue on Church Street, which was dedicated in 1905 during a ceremony lead by the congregation's first cantor, Benjamin Gordon. The congregation was one of Lynn’s several Jewish Orthodox congregations in the early 1900s. This collection contains administrative records, photographs, scrapbooks, and programmatic materials.
Dates: undated, 1982-2001
Overview The Hebrew Teachers Association of Greater Boston was founded in 1909. Its primary purpose was to unite qualified Jewish educators and to provide for their material and spiritual status. The Association first developed a curriculum based on the Bible, the Hebrew language and Jewish history in 1918. It was revised by a committee including the greater Boston Hebrew school principals, the Bureau of Jewish Education and prominent rabbis in 1922. The Association was also involved with Jewish...
Dates: undated, 1934-1956
Abstract The Jecomen Club was a fraternal organization established in 1925 and based in Lynn, Massachusetts. Men over the age of twenty-one with a college degree were eligible to apply for membership. The group hosted both social and philanthropic events, including an annual fundraising theatrical production for the Jecomen scholarship fund. The material in the collection describing the club’s operations includes meeting minutes, photographs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and program books.
Dates: undated, 1925-1945
Abstract The Lexington Jewish Leisure Group was formed in 1972 by members of Lexington’s Temple Emunah and Temple Isaiah to serve as a social group for older and retired Jewish people. After the Group affiliated with the Golden Age Council, a service of the Associated Jewish Community Centers, in 1972, it would also hold meetings at Belmont’s Temple Beth-El. The Leisure Group organized outings and activities for the Jewish senior citizens of the area.
Dates: undated, 1972-1990
Abstract Temple Emanuel Congregation was founded in Newton, Massachusetts in 1935. It is part of United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ), and has over 1,100 families in its congregation. Morris Finkelstein became president of the Congregation in 1972 and served until 1975. Main material types include correspondence, governance, membership lists and speeches.
Dates: undated, 1961-1980
Abstract This collection consists of the New England Student Struggle for Soviet Jewry's correspondence, articles, public awareness materials, membership lists and financial statements from 1970-1975. Included are letters to and from government officials and Rabbis who supported the cause. Notices and flyers are comprised of membership meetings, protests, and lectures. Memorabilia, such as bumper stickers and a protest flag (made of paper) are also included in the collection.
Dates: undated, 1970-1975