New Haven (Conn.)
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
The Jewish Center of New Haven was first founded as a branch of the Young Men's Hebrew Association in 1913. It would later join with the Young Women's Hebrew Association and would remain the Young Men's and Young Women's Hebrew Association until 1938, when it merged with the Hebrew Institute to form the Jewish Center of New Haven. The Center provided vocational guidance, exercise programs, a day camp, and educational activities for the Jewish community of New Haven.
Born in 1888 in Odessa, Sara (Buminowitz) Wernon Sloan immigrated to the United States at the age of ten with her mother and siblings. She became a garment worker and wrote of her experiences working in New York City. This collection contains typed manuscripts of her memoirs written in the 1970s and also includes related correspondence, in which various readers of the memoirs describe their impressions.
This collection contains photographs and architectural drawings depicting 14 of the aron kodesh, or holy arks, created by early 20th century Russian woodworker Sam Katz. Also included are dedication programs, 3 snapshot portraits of Katz, and newspaper clippings relating to several congregations which feature Katz's holy arks.