Philanthropy and society
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Cambridge Hebrew Ladies Educational Society was first formed in 1898 for the purpose of teaching the Hebrew language to Jewish children. The society was renamed the Cambridge Hebrew Women's Aid Society in 1914, and reorganized to include a broad range of philanthropic causes, including the care of tubercular patients and provision of Passover food to the needy. The collection contains bound ledgers of meeting minutes from 1914-1969.
Abstract The Central Jewish Organization (previously known as the Central Jewish Committee) was founded in 1909 in Boston, Massachusetts and was mainly concerned with the welfare of Jewish prisoners and their family. This collection contains a cash book recording the organization's income and expenses from 1913-1916.
Abstract In 1864, congregants of Adath Israel (Temple Israel of Boston) and Ohabei Shalom founded the United Hebrew Benevolent Association, a charitable organization serving Boston’s growing Jewish community. In 1895, the UHBA and four other Jewish philanthropic organizations formed the Federation of Jewish Charities, the forerunner of today’s Combined Jewish Philanthropies. The collection contains case histories, including listings of funds disbursed to families and individuals in need, and a receipt,...
Abstract Noemi #11 was an organizational branch of the charitable organization United Order True Sisters. The members of Noemi #11 were particularly dedicated to the philanthropic cause of aid to disabled children, and had a strong association with Children’s Hospital, Boston, and Massachusetts General Hospital. The collection includes meeting minutes, personal histories of the lodge, programs, photographs and correspondence.
Dates: undated, 1883-1989