Skip to main content

Jewish Women's College Club (Boston, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: JHCI-005

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains formal invitations to the Jewish Women’s College Club’s Evening of Music held at the Boston Conservatory dated 1955 and 1956. This collection also contains concert programs from 1951-1956 for the Jewish Women’s College Club’s annual Sunday Evening Musicale concerts, as well as miscellaneous documents, including an invitation to the club’s Opening Meeting of the Season with Guest of Honor and Speaker Judge Jennie Loitman Barron dated 1952 and a program featuring concert pianist Harold Rubens hosted by the club in tandem with the Women’s Republican in 1947.

Dates

  • 1947-1956

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Conditions Governing Use

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

The Jewish Women’s College Club, founded in 1921, provided scholarships and funding to young Jewish women entering a college or university in the Boston area. The organization was founded by prominent Jewish women with the purpose of bringing self-expression and self-realization to Jewish women, financial service to undergraduates, and the promotion of education and culture in the Jewish community. Meetings were held at the historic Statler Hotel, the Bellevue Hotel on Boston’s Beacon Street, and various homes of the members on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, with membership requiring a college degree from a recognized college or university. Notable club members and volunteers include founding member Matilda Wolfe, Ruth Shapiro of the Carl and Ruth Shapiro Foundation, and other successful women from a variety of professional backgrounds.

Throughout its history, the club organized numerous events in the community, including events called the Sunday Evening Musicale and the Evening of Music. The musical events featuring vocalists and concert musicians served as the club’s largest fundraiser for scholarship funding. In addition to concerts, the Jewish Women’s College Club also held monthly book review meetings, banquets, and panels with notable guests and speakers, such as Judge Jennie Loitman Barron, in attendance.

The Jewish Women’s College Club was a part of the Combined Jewish Philanthropies conglomerate and received support from other scholarship associations. such as the Shapiro Foundation and the Women’s Scholarship Association. On February 18, 2005, club president Selma Lief Maltzman announced the disbandment of the organization after 84 years due to low funding and difficulty in retaining active membership. Throughout its history, the Jewish Women’s College Club is estimated to have provided more than 2,000 women with scholarships to further their education.

References

  1. Materials from this collection.
  2. Gass, Minnie. “The Jewish Women's College Club.” Jewish Advocate. (1909-1990), May 04, 1944, p. 5, Proquest. Web. 22 Feb. 2019.
  3. "Jewish Women's College Club." Jewish Advocate (1909-1990), Nov 09, 1922. https://search.proquest.com/docview/868505309?accountid=35480.
  4. "JEWISH WOMEN'S COLLEGE CLUB TO GIVE THREE PLAYS." Boston Daily Globe (1923-1927), Mar 30, 1923. https://search.proquest.com/docview/497185149?accountid=35480.
  5. Rirchie, Logan C. "Women's Club faces closure 84 years: historical Jewish resources to shut." Jewish Advocate. February 18, 2005, Infotrac Newsstand. Web. 26 Feb. 2019 http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A204207470/STND?u=mlin_b_nenghist&sid=STND

Chronology

1921
The Jewish Women’s College Club is founded.
1922
The Jewish Women’s College Club hosts its first formal dance event.
1923
The Jewish Women’s College Club hosts its first fundraising performance event.
2005
The Jewish Women’s College Club announces disbandment.

Extent

0.25 linear feet (1 half-manuscript box)

Abstract

The Jewish Women’s College Club was an organization in Boston’s Jewish community, active from 1921 to 2005, that was founded to provide scholarships to Jewish women pursuing a college or university education. This collection contains concert programs and invitations to the events put on by the organization.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Acquisition information is unknown.

Processing Information

Processed by Jeana Barry, 2019
Title
Guide to the Jewish Women's College Club (Boston, Mass.) Records, JHCI-005
Author
Jeana Barry
Date
2019
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245