JHC9. Women's Organizations
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The American Technion Society was founded in 1940 as an organization to aid the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, with the goal to aid the technological and scientific advancement of Israel. The Women’s Division, which was founded in 1956, did so by focusing its efforts on three main national programs: faculty recruitment, medical engineering, and student aid. Beginning in the 1970s, special interest was given to the Medical Engineering Project in the Medical School, a cause of...
Abstract Beatrice Miller Feingold was a past President of both the Worcester Section and New England Region of the National Council of Jewish Women. In addition, she was the first female Vice President of the Worcester Jewish Federation, Vice President of the Worcester Chapter of Brandeis University’s National Women’s Committee, and a board member of the Jewish Community Council and Jewish Family Services of Worcester. Feingold was also one of the founders of the Worcester Area Community Service, the...
Abstract B’nai B’rith Women (now known as Jewish Women International) is an international women’s group that promotes advocacy for women and the Jewish community through education, advocacy, and social services. The Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 began in 1942 as a women’s auxiliary of B’nai B’rith Greater Lynn Lodge. This collection contains an annual report, journals, awards, correspondence, news articles, photographs, and scrapbook.
Abstract The Cambridge Hebrew Ladies Educational Society was first formed in 1898 for the purpose of teaching the Hebrew language to Jewish children. The society was renamed the Cambridge Hebrew Women's Aid Society in 1914, and reorganized to include a broad range of philanthropic causes, including the care of tubercular patients and provision of Passover food to the needy. The collection contains bound ledgers of meeting minutes from 1914-1969.
Abstract This collection contains materials related to the Lynn, Salem-Beverly-Danvers, and Swampscott-Marblehead chapters of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, including a history of the Lynn chapter produced in 1993, newsletters from the Salem-Beverly-Danvers chapter, and notes, pamphlets, and other information contained in the personal binder of Swampscott-Marblehead chapter president Irma Levenbach.
Abstract The Jewish Women’s College Club was an organization in Boston’s Jewish community, active from 1921 to 2005, that was founded to provide scholarships to Jewish women pursuing a college or university education. This collection contains concert programs and invitations to the events put on by the organization.
Abstract The Ladies Bikur Cholim Society of Roxbury, Massachusetts, was the founding organization of Jewish Memorial Hospital. In the 1920s, Beth Israel Hospital moved to a larger medical facility in Boston and sold their existing building to the Society. The president at the time of the building's purchase was Ida Cooper. This collection contains the minutes book of the Board of Directors meetings, with meeting minutes and membership lists from 1928-1932. The meeting minutes specifically discuss the...
Abstract The Louisa May Alcott Club was established in November of 1895 at 9 Rochester Street in Boston, Massachusetts. It operated as a self-governing club with 11-17 year old girls. A constitution was set in place that ensured the girls would each pay five cents a week towards the club, but only while they were working. The participating girls were all immigrants or children of immigrants, and classes were held at the building to teach the girls English, cooking and sewing. In 1896/1897 the club moved...
Abstract The National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), Greater Boston Evening Branch was established as a section of the larger national organization in 1981. Originally called the Moonlighters of Greater Boston, the group went through a period as the Young Women’s Branch, before becoming the Evening Branch. The collection contains an incomplete run of newsletters from the section’s beginnings through 1993, as well as member correspondence, such as announcements and invitations. The collection as...
Abstract Founded in 1846, the United Order of True Sisters (UOTS) originated in New York with the intent of increasing philanthropy and providing an outlet for women. In 1947, the United Order of True Sisters Cancer Services was founded to raise funds to support oncology centers. The material in this collection includes event programs, a certificate of life membership, and the correspondence of Sylvia Shapiro, vice-president of the UOTS.