Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Arthur S. Obermayer was a scientist, entrepreneur, and philanthropist born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He established his own research and development company, Moleculon Research Company, in the Boston area and was involved in numerous philanthropic and professional organizations, especially through his foundation, the Obermayer Foundation. Obermayer was also a political activist, and played a key role in establishing the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program. This collection...
Abstract Beth Hamidrash Hagodol (known colloquially as the Crawford Street Shul), was founded in 1913 in a small house on Harold Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts. In 1915, the cornerstone of the synagogue was placed at 105 Crawford Street in the Elm Hill District of Roxbury. The congregation elected Louis M. Epstein as their first Rabbi in 1918. This collection contains the business, activity and social records of Beth Hamidrash Hagodol, including correspondence, financial records, ledgers, yearbooks,...
Abstract Created to provide mutual aid and education, The Workmen's Circle was established in New York in 1900 and officially chartered in 1905. Massachusetts established an Independent Workmen's Circle in 1903 to maneuver around prohibitive insurance laws, but was able to unify with the national organization in 1921. Several chapters were operational in Massachusetts by 1911. The Boston District often mirrored National's development, including the establishment of cemeteries, a chorus, a camp, and I.L....
Abstract Congregation Linas Zedek was located on Chestnut Street in Chelsea, Massachusetts. Founded by Ukrainian immigrants from the Kamen Kashirsky region and the local carpenter's union, it was defunct by the 1980s. The synagogue's cemetery is located in Everett, Massachusetts. This collection contains a ledger with minutes of the Ladies' Auxiliary of Congregation Linas Zedek, a membership ledger, and miscellaneous event flyers and invitations in Yiddish. The minutes ledger is in English (from...
Abstract Congregation Ohave Sholom was formed on January 20, 1910 in Gardner, Massachuesetts. At the time the synagogue was built, Ohave Sholom had 20 families as members, but during World War I the population peaked, and 60 families held membership. However, by the 1970s membership began to decline and in 1998, with only 12 members remaining, the congregation dissolved.
Abstract This collection contains awards and honors, business records, meeting minutes, financial documents, correspondence, manuscripts, interview transcripts, and speeches documenting the work and personal lives of lawyer and philanthropist David R. Pokross and his wife Muriel K. Pokross.
Greater Boston Committee of the Massachusetts Observance of the American Jewish Tercentenary Records
Abstract The Massachusetts Observance of the American Jewish Tercentenary documents the correspondence, activities, photographs and publications of the Greater Boston Committee’s efforts to celebrate the 300th Anniversary of Jewish settlement in the United States. Many notable Boston Jewish community members were a part of the planning and implementation of activities, which included a celebration at Symphony Hall and a musical for children entitled, "A Happy Land."
Abstract The Hebrew Free Loan Association was formed circa 1935 in Pittsfield, Massachusetts to offer interest-free loans to dues-paying members of the organization in need of temporary financial relief. The records of the Association consist of two bound ledgers, one containing minutes from meetings of the organization’s officers, and the other holding a list of account holders and their transactions between 1949 and 1970.
Abstract The Hebrew Free Loan Society was organized in 1912 to assist those in need of temporary financial relief. Formed in the wake of increasing immigration from Eastern Europe and the proliferation of urban poverty, the Society also became a constituent of the Federation of Jewish Charities. These records document the Society’s major operations and include administrative articles, in meeting minutes, and financial reports and statements.
Overview The Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society (HIAS) was founded in New York City in the 1880s by the Russian Jewish community of New York in response to the influx of Russian Jewish immigrants fleeing the pograms in the Pale of Settlement in Russia and Eastern Europe. In 1889, a shelter which was used to house many of the immigrants adopted the name “Hebrew Sheltering House Association.” This organization merged with HIAS in 1909 and by 1914, had branches operating in Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore and...