Hebrew Free Loan Society (Boston, Mass.) Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains the records of the Hebrew Free Loan Society’s major operations. Documents primarily describe the governing principles of the Society in logistical and administrative articles, the activities of directors in meeting minutes, and the distribution of the budgets in financial reports and statements. Also included, in a shared oversized box, is a folder with incorporation certificates dated 1913 and 1937.
- undated, 1912-1974
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at email@example.com.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hebrew Free Loan Society was organized in 1912 to provide temporary financial assistance to those in need, regardless of religion, race, or nationality, as stated in their Constitution. Establishment of the Society was primarily motivated “for the purpose of preventing pauperism by promoting and encouraging thrift and self-support among those who are in impoverished circumstances and by assisting them to establish themselves in life.” Formed in the wake of increasing immigration from Eastern Europe and the proliferation of urban poverty, the Society received personal contributions in its first year of $25,000 from Nathan Pinanski (the organization’s first president), Albert Ginzberg, Oscar Grosberg, and Lassor Agos. As a result, that year they underwrote 192 interest free loans. Forty years later, in 1952, the Society had given a total of 47,262 loans, amounting to $6,011,850. The Society became a constituent of the Federation of Jewish Charities (later, Combined Jewish Philanthropies).
- Materials from the collection.
- Sarna, Jonathan D., Ellen Smith, and Scott-Martin Kosofsky. The Jews of Boston. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 2005.
- First organizational meeting.
- Organization incorporated.
- Name changed to “Hebrew Free Loan Society of Boston."
0.75 linear feet (2 manuscript boxes and 1 oversized folder)
The Hebrew Free Loan Society was organized in 1912 to assist those in need of temporary financial relief. Formed in the wake of increasing immigration from Eastern Europe and the proliferation of urban poverty, the Society also became a constituent of the Federation of Jewish Charities. These records document the Society’s major operations and include administrative articles, in meeting minutes, and financial reports and statements.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Donated by the Hebrew Free Loan Society of Boston in October 1975 with additional materials donated by Rosalind Gerter in May 2001.
Processed by Kora Welsh, 2015
- Guide to the Hebrew Free Loan Society (Boston, Mass.) Records, I-115
- Processed by Kora Welsh
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script