Found in 38 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Beth Hamidrash Hagodol (known colloquially as the Crawford Street Shul), was founded in 1913 in a small house on Harold Street in Roxbury, Boston, Massachusetts. In 1915, the cornerstone of the synagogue was placed at 105 Crawford Street in the Elm Hill District of Roxbury. The congregation elected Louis M. Epstein as their first Rabbi in 1918. This collection contains the business, activity and social records of Beth Hamidrash Hagodol, including correspondence, financial records, ledgers,...
Dates: undated, 1922-1924, 1933-1973
Abstract Congregation Adath Israel was established in 1919 by a small group of Jewish farmers in Newtown, Connecticut. The synagogue expanded its building in 1957 and converted from the Orthodox movement to the Conservative movement in the 1970s. In 2007, they relocated to a larger building within Newtown. The collection primarily consists of administrative and financial records, along with newspaper clippings, photographs, and miscellaneous documents.
Dates: undated, 1909-1991
Overview This collection contains materials of the Congregation Adath Jeshurun, the founding institution of the Jewish community in the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston. The main materials cover the last twenty years of the congregation’s existence, a period marked by the decline of the Jewish population of Roxbury which ultimately resulted in the congregation’s demise. The main part of the collection consists of minute books that record the activities of the congregation during this period as well as the...
Dates: undated, 1916-1991
Abstract Incorporated in 1901, Congregation Ahabat Sholom constructed a German Romanesque synagogue on Church Street, which was dedicated in 1905 during a ceremony lead by the congregation's first cantor, Benjamin Gordon. The congregation was one of Lynn’s several Jewish Orthodox congregations in the early 1900s. This collection contains administrative records, photographs, scrapbooks, and programmatic materials.
Dates: undated, 1982-2001
Abstract Congregation Ahaveth Achim Anshe Sphard (also known as the Elm Street Synagogue) was an orthodox synagogue in Chelsea, Massachusetts. This collection contains a ledger with the congregation’s constitution, bylaws, and the minutes of two meetings. It also contains mortgage records and establishment of association forms for the congregation.
Abstract Congregation Anshai Sfard (Anshei, Anshe, Anshi) was a Hasidic, conservative Jewish Synagogue established by Jewish immigrants in Lynn, Massachusetts from 1888 to December 1999. This collection contains a letterpress printing block used to print the incorporation papers, a large "Golden Book of Congregation Anshei Sfard," which includes an illuminated manuscript with hand-painted and gold-leafed elements, a donor list, newspaper clippings, and photographs; meeting minutes, several family...
Dates: undated, 1899-2001
Abstract Congregation Anshei Libovitz (alternatively referred to as Lebowitz, Libawitz, Libavitz, and Lebavitz) was founded in 1890 in Downtown Boston. The collection contains meeting minutes and financial records that provide information on the congregation’s membership and the day-to-day management of the synagogue.
Dates: undated, 1894-1965
Overview Congregation Beth El-Atereth Israel is an Orthodox synagogue located in Newton, Massachusetts. The congregation was a joining of Congregation Beth El (also known as the Fowler Street Shul) in Dorchester and Congregation Atereth Israel in Roxbury. This collection contains banquet programs, yearbooks, and invitations.
Abstract Congregation Beth Israel began in 1888 when a group of young men spilt from Shomre Beth Abraham to form their own congregation. A year later they relocated to an old Baptist Church located on Baldwin Place in Boston's North End. The Baldwin Place synagogue housed a sanctuary on the ground floor as well as schools and meeting rooms in the space above. It was the largest shul in the North End and was considered the center of Boston Orthodoxy. Rabbi Moshe Zevulun Margolies presided over it and was...
Dates: 1887, 1890
Abstract Includes a copy of the constitution and a short history of the congregation; the minute books (1911-1923; 1939-1945) and financial records (1925-1937) of various activities of the synagogue and its relation with local, national and international Jewish events. Of special interest are the synagogue’s involvement in the providing of kosher meat in the Cambridge area, and its relation with the Cambridge and Somerville Hebrew Literary Association which maintained a Hebrew Free School. Minute book...