Skip to main content

YMHA Alumni Association (Boston, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: JHCI-009

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains newsletters, flyers, and other miscellaneous documents related to the activities of the YMHA Alumni Association between the years 1977 and 1995. Included are flyers promoting reunions, newsletters providing updates on the organization's activities and the lives of alumni, and membership forms.

Dates

  • undated, 1977-1995

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Conditions Governing Use

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

The Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA) was founded in Boston's South End and incorporated on January 30, 1882 by a small group of residents, including Edward S. Goulston, Grace Cohen, Raphael Lasker, Mark Wolf, Abraham L. Fisbel, Louis Gans, Mark Stone, Abraham P. Spitz, Nathan Schloss, L.B. Schwabe, Samuel B. Sterne, Morris Clarke and Julius Rosenthal. As the Jewish population in the following years moved from the South End to the Roxbury and Dorchester neighborhoods of Boston, the YMHA moved as well, first relocating to the corner of Warren and Howland Streets in Roxbury, and then to Seaver Street, on the corner of Humboldt Avenue, also in Roxbury. In 1960, the YMHA merged with the Hecht House to create the Boston YMHA-Hecht House. The merged organization was located at 150 American Legion Highway in Dorchester and welcomed both children and adults from Dorchester, Mattapan, Roxbury, Hyde Park and Milton.

Although an alumni association was initially founded in 1953, this iteration of the organization was begun after alumni held a reunion at the Blue Hill County Club on November 2, 1974, and it was officially founded on May 23, 1975. The Alumni Association hosts reunions and banquets, publishes newsletters providing updates on organizational activities and on the lives of alumni, and gives grants to various charitable causes.

Chronology

1882
The YMHA of Boston is founded.
1889
The Hecht House is founded.
1960
The YMHA and Hecht House merge to form the Boston YMHA-Hecht House.
1975
The YMHA Alumni Association is founded.

Extent

3 folders

Abstract

This collection contains newsletters, flyers for reunions, and membership forms documenting the activities of the YMHA Alumni Association from 1977 until 1995.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Acquisition information is unknown.

Processing Information

Processed by Lindsay Murphy, 2019
Title
Guide to the YMHA Alumni Association (Boston, Mass.) Records, JHCI-009
Author
Lindsay Murphy
Date
2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245