Congregation Beth Israel (Hartford, Conn.) Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of flyers, invitations and programs concerning the Congregation's 100th and 125th Anniversaries, general miscellaneous materials and printed pamphlets about services (Bulletins.)
- Congregation Beth Israel (Hartford, Conn.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at email@example.com.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congregation Beth Israel was founded in 1843 and is Connecticut's oldest synagogue. Originally established as an Orthodox congregation, the synagogue eventually converted to Reform and was one of the founding members of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (Union for Reform Judaism) in 1877. In 1854, the Ladies' Deborah Society was established, which operated as a charitable group within the synagogue. Until 1856, the congregation met in congregants' homes and buildings throughout the city. The first building to house the synagogue, "Touro Hall," was also the first synagogue in Hartford, but was partially destroyed by fire in 1875. The synagogue then moved to Charter Oak Avenue, where it remained until 1935. In 1868, the synagogue purchased land on Zion Hill for their cemetery, which was dedicated in 1874. The current synagogue building is on Farmington Avenue in West Hartford.
- "History." Congregation Beth Israel. August 17, 2010 (http://www.cbict.org/whoWeAre/index.html)
- Materials from the collection.
- Congregation established in Hartford.
- Rev. Moses L. Strauss is contracted as ritual slaughterer and cantor.
- Congregation meets at the home of A. Rothenberg on Mill Street.
- Congregation meets in a hall on Main Street.
- David Engel is the first sexton.
- Mr. L. Mossbacher is hired as the first teacher for the religious school.
- Meets in "Potter's Building" at 15 Market Street.
- Constitution and by-laws drafted.
- Ladies' Deborah Society established.
- Lot on Pearl Street purchased for synagogue building. The congregation later exchanges this land for the North Baptist Church on Main Street.
- "Touro Hall" becomes the first synagogue in Hartford.
- Rev. Isaac Meyer becomes the first Rabbi of the Congregation.
- The first choir is introduced, and family pews are established.
- Touro Hall is remodeled and enlarged.
- Rev. M.S. Weiner becomes Rabbi.
- Lots on Zion Hill are purchased for cemetery.
2 linear feet (4 manuscript boxes)
Congregation Beth Israel was founded in 1843 and is Connecticut's oldest synagogue. Originally established as an Orthodox congregation, the synagogue eventually converted to Reform and was one of the founding members of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (Union for Reform Judaism) in 1877. This collection includes event flyers, programs for services, sermons, anniversary books with historical information, and bulletins.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Acquisition information is unknown.
Processed by Stephanie Call, 2010
- Guide to the Congregation Beth Israel (Hartford, Conn.) Records, I-464
- Reprocessed by Stephanie Call