Synagogues -- Connecticut
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:
Congregation Adath Israel was established in 1919 by a small group of Jewish farmers in Newtown, Connecticut. The synagogue expanded its building in 1957 and converted from the Orthodox movement to the Conservative movement in the 1970s. In 2007, they relocated to a larger building within Newtown. The collection primarily consists of administrative and financial records, along with newspaper clippings, photographs, and miscellaneous documents.
Congregation Beth Israel was founded in 1843 and is Connecticut's oldest synagogue. Originally established as an Orthodox congregation, the synagogue eventually converted to Reform and was one of the founding members of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations (Union for Reform Judaism) in 1877. This collection includes event flyers, programs for services, sermons, anniversary books with historical information, and bulletins.
Congregation Mishkan Israel in Hamden, Connecticut, was founded in 1840. Their cemetery was established in 1843 in the Westville section of New Haven, Connecticut. This collection consists primarily of newsletters and other synagogue publications, as well as invitations to the 100th anniversary of the synagogue and other events.
Congregation Rodeph Sholom is a synagogue in Bridgeport, Connecticut. This collection contains two dedication journals commemorating major construction projects, as well as a 1959 book celebrating the congregation's 50th anniversary.
At the time these photographs were taken in 1981 and 1985, Steven Kellerman was a machinist with an interest in synagogue history. This particular collection of photographs started with Kellerman’s visits to former synagogues in Dorchester and Roxbury, Massachusetts; the project expanded to include most of Massachusetts and other states.
This collection contains photographs and architectural drawings depicting 14 of the aron kodesh, or holy arks, created by early 20th century Russian woodworker Sam Katz. Also included are dedication programs, 3 snapshot portraits of Katz, and newspaper clippings relating to several congregations which feature Katz's holy arks.