Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Chevra Kadusha of Boston is an independent, non-denominational organization of individuals, synagogues, universities and other Jewish institutions committed to making the full range of burial rituals accessible and available to the entire Jewish community. It was organized and instituted in 1856. The collection contains two versions of the constitution of Chevra Kedusha as well as the board minutes (1892-1904, 1911-1974), financial records (1933-1968), and a ledger recording payments of...
Dates: undated, 1856-1981
Abstract Congregation Tifereth Israel was founded in Everett in 1910 and dedicated their first synagogue in 1912. After working in close partnership for nearly 30 years, Congregation Tifereth Israel merged with Everett Hebrew School and Community School to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center in 1955. In 2016, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merged with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. This collection contains meeting minutes, news clippings, photographs,...
Dates: undated, 1928-2015
Abstract Joseph Glick and Annie Cooperstein emigrated from Russia in the early 1900s and married in Boston in 1898. They had eleven children, and upon Joseph’s death, their son James became administrator of Joseph’s estate. The material in the collection primarily documents James’s disposal of his father’s estate, while also including a family tree and copy of Joseph and Annie’s wedding invitation.
Dates: circa 1898-1993
Abstract This collection contains materials related to the Lynn, Salem-Beverly-Danvers, and Swampscott-Marblehead chapters of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, including a history of the Lynn chapter produced in 1993, newsletters from the Salem-Beverly-Danvers chapter, and notes, pamphlets, and other information contained in the personal binder of Swampscott-Marblehead chapter president Irma Levenbach.
Abstract The Hebrew Educational Alliance was formed in Roxbury, Massachusetts and built a community hall there in 1921, establishing an orthodox synagogue, Congregation Toras Moshe, soon after. The Congregation sold the land and merged with Congregation Kadimah of Brighton, MA in 1964 to form Congregation Kadimah-Toras Moshe. The collection contains administrative records, such as ledgers, insurance records, correspondence, and membership lists, as well as documents sent to members of the Congregation,...
Dates: undated, circa 1949-1964
Abstract Author and photographer Ilan Fisher was born and lives in Sharon, Massachusetts, where he owned Great Impression, a company that provided event videography services. He also contributed columns to the Sharon Advocate and other local publications, and in 2002, his stories were collected in the book The Carnie Kid Tells All. Fisher’s papers primarily contain invitations from events Great Impression recorded, along with a small...
Dates: undated, circa 1964-2009
Abstract The Israel Numismatic Society is an organization dedicated to the study of and collection of Israel's coinage, past and present, and all aspects of Judaic numismatics. This collection contains papers, certificates, and correspondence relating to meetings and events held by the Israel Numismatic Society of Massachusetts (INSM) in various locations throughout the state between 1973 and 1992. This collection also contains publications released by the INSM, as well as newsletters from the Los...
Dates: undated, 1973-1992
Abstract The Jewish Community Center of the North Shore was established in 1911 as the Lynn Young Men’s Hebrew Association (YMHA). In 1943, the YMHA was renamed the Lynn Jewish Community Center, and in 1972, the organization moved to their current location in Marblehead, Massachusetts, at which time they changed their name to reflect their dedication to the entire North Shore community. The collection mostly consists of group and event photographs and various publications produced by the Center,...
Dates: undated, 1922-2004
Abstract This collection contains a range of materials documenting the Jewish community of Lynn, Massachusetts. Included are materials from Jewish-owned businesses, Jewish individuals and families, and Jewish organizations in Lynn.
Dates: undated, 1855-2010
Abstract The Laymen’s Institute (now known as TheRetreat) is a summer weekend retreat started in 1946 and sponsored by the New England Region of the Federation of Jewish Men’s Clubs. The records include correspondence, speeches, short sermons, programs, ephemera, and cassette recordings of lectures. There is also a scrapbook and framed photo collage.
Dates: undated, circa 1951-2005