Skip to main content

Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: I-592

Scope and Content Note

The Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center Records contains news clippings, meeting minutes, photographs, newsletters, programs, blueprints, and awards documenting the operations and activities of the Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. Some audiovisual items have been removed from the collection for proper storage. These items are identified with a separation of materials form.

Dates

  • undated, 1928-2015

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is in English and Hebrew.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Use Restrictions

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

In 1910, the Jewish community of Everett, Massachusetts formed Congregation Tifereth Israel. The congregation immediately set about raising money to build a synagogue, and in 1912, dedicated the city of Everett's first synagogue, located at 34 Malden Street. The congregation discharged its mortgage for the synagogue building in 1923.

Shortly after the burning of the mortgage, several community congregation members began organizing and raising money for a community center and Hebrew school. In 1928, this group formally incorporated as Everett Hebrew School and Community Center and dedicated their new schoolhouse. That same year, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center was established under the leadership of Jennie (Mogulesky) Gorovitz. The Everett Hebrew School and Community Center hired Rabbi Symcha Gordon to serve as spiritual leader for them and Congregation Tifereth Israel. Up to this point, religious services had been conducted by congregation members and the congregation did not feel hiring the services of a rabbi was necessary. Since its establishment in 1928, the Everett Hebrew School and Congregation Tifereth Israel worked in partnership with each other. The two organizations officially merged in 1955 to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center. The Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center became the Congregation Tifereth Israel Sisterhood.

The new Congregation Tifereth Israel served a growing Jewish community, providing a myriad of services and education for children. In 1967, the congregation dedicated a new, combined synagogue and community center building. They discharged their mortgage for this building in 1971. In 1982, the building was severely damaged by an electrical fire. The congregation’s Torahs were saved by three fire department chaplains. Congregation Tifereth Israel rebuilt and rededicated their synagogue and community center in 1983.

Due to decreased enrollment and increased expenses, the congregation’s Hebrew school merged with Winthrop Hebrew School of Temple Tifereth Israel in Winthrop, Massachusetts. In 1988, the annual Rose and Samuel Henken Lecture Series was established. This series, sponsored by the Henken family, recruited prominent members of the Jewish community to speak at Congregation Tifereth Israel as a means to inspire more members and bring in revenue. Notable speakers included former Massachusetts governor Michael Dukakis and scholar Jessica Stern.

Due to continued decrease in membership, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center did not hire a new rabbi when Rabbi Nehemia Polen left in 1996. The congregation entered into an agreement to share services with Congregation Agudas Achim in Malden, Massachusetts. When that agreement terminated in 2003, services at Congregation Tifereth Israel were held by community members. In 2016, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merged with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. The congregation continues to use its building at 34 Malden Street.

References

  1. "Combined Hebrew School Making Strides." Jewish Advocate, March 4, 1982. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/870777264?accountid=35480.
  2. "Everett Hebrew School." Jewish Advocate, September 15, 1949. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881232745?accountid=35480.
  3. "Everett Honors Rabbi Cohen at Reception." Jewish Advocate, July 19, 1945. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881222200/pageviewPDF/36686604F403495FPQ/1?accountid=35480.
  4. "United Everett Group Installation." Jewish Advocate, September 1, 1955. Accessed April 19, 2017. https://search.proquest.com/docview/881119173/pageviewPDF/9A6189B4ACCC4FF5PQ/1?accountid=35480.

Chronology

1910
Congregation Tifereth Israel is founded in Everett, Massachusetts.
1912
Congregation dedicates its synagogue on Malden Street in Everett.
1923
Congregation Tifereth Israel discharges its mortgage for the Malden Street synagogue.
1928
The Everett Hebrew School and Community Center officially incorporates and dedicates their new schoolhouse.
1928
The Ladies Auxiliary of the Everett Hebrew School and Community Center is formed under the leadership of Jennie (Mogulesky) Gorovitz.
1934
Rabbi Chaim Goldin is hired as spiritual leader of Everett Hebrew School and Community Center and Congregation Tifereth Israel.
1937
Rabbi Symcha Gordon is hired as spiritual leader and principal of Everett Hebrew School.
1943
Rabbi Eugene Cohen is hired as spiritual leader.
1944
Everett Hebrew School and Community Center discharges its mortgage.
1945
Rabbi Eugene Cohen is commissioned as an army chaplain and leaves the congregation.
1949
Rabbi David H. Weisenberg is hired as spiritual leader.
1953
25th Anniversary of Everett Hebrew School and Community Center.
1955
Congregation Tifereth Israel officially merges with Everett Hebrew School and Community Center to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center.
1956
Rabbi Herbert H. Witkin is hired as spiritual leader.
1961
William Herskowitz serves as spiritual leader.
1962
Rabbi Harry Brazil is hired as spiritual leader.
1965
Rabbi David S. Polen is hired as spiritual leader.
1966
Groundbreaking begins for the new synagogue and community center.
1967
The new synagogue and community center is dedicated.
1971
Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center discharge their mortgage.
1973
Rabbi David S. Polen passes away.
1973
Rabbi Nehemia Polen, son of Rabbi David S. Polen, is hired as spiritual leader.
1980
Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates the bar mitzvah of their new building.
1981
Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center’s school merges with the Winthrop Hebrew School of Temple Tifereth Israel of Winthrop and forms New Community Hebrew School.
1982
Congregation Tifereth Israel’s synagogue is severely damaged by a fire.
1983
The reconstructed synagogue and community center is dedicated.
1985
Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates its 70th Anniversary.
1985-1986
Rabbi Yosef Wosk serves as interim spiritual leader of the Congregation while Rabbi Nehemia Polen is on sabbatical as the Visiting Scholar at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.
1988
The annual Rose and Samuel Henken Lecture Series is established.
1991
Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center celebrates its 75th Anniversary.
1996
Rabbi Nehemia Polen leaves Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center.
1996
Congregation Tifereth Israel enters into an agreement with Rabbi Samuel Lavitsky of Congregation Agudas Achim in Malden to hold joint services.
2003
The agreement with Congregation Agudas Achim of Malden ends.
2008
Congregation Tifereth Israel celebrates its 100th Anniversary.
2009
The annual Rose and Samuel Henken lecture series is discontinued.
2016
Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merges with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch.

Extent

6.8 linear feet (2 document boxes, 1 manuscript box, 2 oversized boxes)

Abstract

Congregation Tifereth Israel was founded in Everett in 1910 and dedicated their first synagogue in 1912. After working in close partnership for nearly 30 years, Congregation Tifereth Israel merged with Everett Hebrew School and Community School to become Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center in 1955. In 2016, Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center merged with the North Shore Chabad Lubavitch. This collection contains meeting minutes, news clippings, photographs, newsletters, and programs documenting the activities and operations of the synagogue, community center, and Hebrew school.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Donated by Earl Spivak, 2015

Processing Information

Processed by Meghan Pipp, 2017
Title
Guide to the Congregation Tifereth Israel and Community Center (Everett, Mass.) Records, I-592
Author
Processed by Meghan Pipp
Date
2017
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245