Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
The B’nai B’rith Peabody Lodge No. 2765 was founded in 1969 as a local chapter of the larger B’nai B’rith International, which advocates for the Jewish people and works to combat anti-Semitism. The Peabody Lodge engaged in a variety of service and charitable activities in the Peabody area. This collection contains awards, correspondence, photographs, a scrapbook, and other miscellaneous materials.
This collection contains a range of materials documenting the Jewish community of Peabody, Mass. Included are materials on Jewish-owned businesses, Jewish individuals and families, and Jewish organizations in Peabody. The collection was established by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore through many separate donations of materials relating to Peabody’s Jewish community.
The Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore (JHCNS) collected the records of the North Shore Jewish community and developed exhibits, cultural events, and publications to preserve and disseminate the history of the community. JHCNS’s records contain administrative documents, such as by-laws, deeds of gift, loan agreements, and fundraising paperwork, as well as documents related to exhibits put on between 1991 and 2002.
Series I: Independent Order of B’rith Abraham, George Peabody Lodge, No. 667 (Peabody, Mass.) Records, undated, 1913-1932
At the time these photographs were taken in 1981 and 1985, Steven Kellerman was a machinist with an interest in synagogue history. This particular collection of photographs started with Kellerman’s visits to former synagogues in Dorchester and Roxbury, Massachusetts; the project expanded to include most of Massachusetts and other states.
Temple Ner Tamid was founded in 1959 by local Jewish families who wanted a conservative synagogue in their home town of Peabody, Mass. Following its inception the congregation was able to buy a tract of land and raise money for construction of the temple, which was completed in 1965. Included are correspondence and other mailings, event programs, seating charts, temple by-laws, a Landscaping Committee record book, meeting and expense reports, and membership lists.
This collection contains photographs and architectural drawings depicting 14 of the aron kodesh, or holy arks, created by early 20th century Russian woodworker Sam Katz. Also included are dedication programs, 3 snapshot portraits of Katz, and newspaper clippings relating to several congregations which feature Katz's holy arks.