Temple Sinai (Swampscott, Mass.) Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains documents from various aspects of Temple Sinai's community life from 1953-2003. These documents include High Holiday prayer supplement booklets, religious school brochures, various event invitations and programs, dedication booklets, photographs, and a comprehensive summary of the Temple's history. The collection also contains newspaper clippings about Rabbi Strassfeld and his and his wife's activism during the Soviet Jewry movement and about the Temple's dedication of a Torah scroll saved during the Holocaust.
- undated, 1953-2005
- Temple Sinai (Swampscott, Mass.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
As vibrant Jewish communities began to emerge in the North Shore suburbs of Massachusetts, the Swampscott-Marblehead region became a significant hub of Jewish life, attracting many Jews from the nearby urban areas. Temple Israel of Swampscott had already been established by 1950, but as the Jewish population continued to increase, Temple Emmanuel, Temple Beth-El, and Temple Sinai were founded to accommodate the growing community.
Temple Sinai initially began solely as a religious school housed in a dilapidated building, but families wanted a better space for education and a stronger community, and the religious school grew into a congregation. In 1953, Dr. Louis Barron, Harold W. Cohen, Dr. Morris Cohen, Adrian Comins, and Harry Weinstein founded the new Temple Sinai building, housing the new congregation, which was comprised of only twenty families. That year was a big year: the Temple's Sisterhood held their first fundraising event, “Dancing under the Stars”; the first High Holiday services were held in September; membership doubled throughout the year; and the formal dedication ceremony was held in December. In 1954, the Temple held its first religious school graduation ceremony and in 1954, Rabbi Dov Zlotnick and Cantor Charles Law were hired. In 1957, Rabbi Jack Reimer and Cantor Henry Hearst replaced Rabbi Zlotnick and Cantor Law, and the Temple's Brotherhood was established. The congregation continued to grow, eventually outgrowing the building. In 1960, a decision was made to build a new building in Marblehead. Rabbi Aaron Weinberg took over in 1962. In the early 1960s, the Temple received a visit from Boston's Cardinal Robert Cushing, who publicly apologized for the Catholic Church's wrongdoings towards the Jews. Rabbi Meyer Strassfeld came to the congregation in 1965 and by the mid-sixties membership reached 230 families. In the 1960s, the Temple had its first service in remembrance of the Shoah during a Yom Kippur Yitzkor.
The following decade presented financial challenges for the congregation. In 1973 a bingo game night was introduced in the hopes that it would provide some income to help maintain the budget. The maintenance of the Hebrew School was costly, especially with declining enrollment. In 1975, Temple Sinai's religious school merged with the religious school of Ahabat Shalom in Lynn, followed by Temple Israel in Swampscott. That same year, the Temple implemented its Redemption Loan Plan which was ultimately successful in 1989. The seventies also brought a new debate for Conservative Judaism: the question of the roles of women in Jewish religious life. The Rabbinical Association of the Conservative Movement announced that each Conservative congregation was free to decide on their own rules for women, and following the trends of the time, Temple Sinai allowed women to be counted in a minyan and to participate in aliyot.1
- Materials from the collection.
- Temple Sinai is founded as a Hebrew School and becomes a congregation in July; first High Holiday services in September; Formal dedication in December.
- Temple gets their first Rabbi and Cantor–Rabbi Dov Zlotnick and Cantor Charles Law.
- New Rabbi and Cantor–Rabbi Jack Reimer and Cantor Henry Hearst.
- Temple Brotherhood established.
- Decision to build new building in Marblehead.
- Rabbi Aaron Weinberg replaces Rabbi Reimer.
- Early 1960s
- Boston’s Cardinal Richard Cushing visits Temple Sinai and apologizes for what the Catholic Church had done to Jews in the past.
- Rabbi Meyer Strassfeld elected as spiritual leader.
- First service in remembrance of the Holocaust during Yom Kippur Yitzkor.
- Temple introduces a bingo game night to help raise money for the budget.
- Temple Sinai merges with Ahabat Shalom in Lynn, Temple Israel of Swampscott later joins as well; Temple Sinai Redemption Loan Plan is implemented.
- Debate on the role of women in Judaism. Temple Sinai allows women to participate in minyanim and aliyot.
- Rabbi and Ruth Strassfeld move to Florida.
0.5 linear feet (1 manuscript box)
Temple Sinai was founded in 1953 and became a hub of vibrant Jewish life on the North Shore of Massachusetts. Rabbi Meyer Strassfeld served as the congregation's spiritual leader from 1965-1989, and during this time he involved the community in the Soviet Jewry movement and led the dedication of a Torah scroll saved during the Holocaust. The collection contains many event flyers, booklets, and newspaper clippings that illustrate Temple Sinai's active community.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Donated by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore in 2013.
Processed by Sarah Raykhtsaum, 2014
- Ahabat Shalom (Lynn, Mass.)
- Boston (Mass.)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Cushing, Richard, 1895-1970
- Hearst, Henry
- Journals (accounts)
- Law, Charles
- Lynn (Mass.)
- Prayer books
- Reimer, Jack
- Strassfeld, Meyer
- Strassfeld, Ruth
- Swampscott (Mass.)
- Temple Israel (Swampscott, Mass.)
- Temple Sinai (Swampscott, Mass.)
- Weinberg, Aaron
- Zlotnick, Dov
- Guide to the Temple Sinai, (Swampscott, Mass.) Records, I-565
- Processed by Sarah Raykhtsaum
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script