Skip to main content

Congregation B’nai Moshe (Brighton, Boston, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: JHCI-014

Scope and Content Note

This collection contains a souvenir booklet from the 1940 banquet commemorating the purchase of land on Commonwealth Avenue, as well as a two dedication volumes, one from 1949 celebrating the dedication of the new vestry and Hebrew school, and one from 1954 commemorating the dedication of the new temple.

Dates

  • 1940-1954

Creator

Language of Materials

This collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Conditions Governing Use

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Historical Note

Congregation B’nai Moshe, located in Brighton, Boston, Massachusetts, was founded in 1933. Originally called Temple Ohel Moshe, its first building was located at 96 Chestnut Hill Avenue in Brighton and was dedicated on September 10, 1933. A Hebrew school was organized that Fall, and Rabbi Joseph Shubow became affiliated with the congregation the following year. The congregation grew rapidly, and adequate space was a nagging problem. B’nai Moshe purchased 60,000 square feet of land from the City of Boston on Commonwealth Avenue in 1940, with the goal of building a new temple there.

The ground was broken on the new temple in April 1947, and construction was completed in stages. The new vestry and Hebrew school were dedicated in December 1949, over several days of celebration. A new chapel and several additional class rooms followed in May of 1952, and finally the entire temple was dedicated in June of 1954 during a three-day event.

References

  1. Materials in the collection.

Chronology

1933
The congregation is formed.
1940
The congregation purchases land on Commonwealth Avenue.
1947
Groundbreaking on the new temple begins.
1949
The vestry and Hebrew school are dedicated.
1954
The new temple is dedicated.

Extent

0.25 linear feet (1 half-manuscript box)

Abstract

Congregation B’nai Moshe is a congregation located in Brighton, formed in 1933. The congregation grew quickly and underwent several construction projects during its first two decades, moving from Chestnut Hill Avenue to Commonwealth Avenue, both in Brighton, Boston, Massachusetts. This collection contains a souvenir booklet and dedication booklets produced by the congregation.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Acquistion information is unknown.

Related Materials

Processing Information

Processed by Christopher Russell, 2019.
Title
Guide to the Congregation B’nai Moshe (Brighton, Boston, Mass.) Records, JHCI-013
Author
Christopher Russell
Date
2019

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245