B'nai B'rith Women Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 (Lynn, Mass.) Records
Scope and Content Note
The B'nai B'rith Women, Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 records contains Auxiliary News from the 89th Convention of District One, awards, correspondence, news clippings, photgraphs, prayers, souvenir journals, and publications of B'nai B'rith Times Spotlight. Of note is a scrapbook of activities durig 1956-1957.
- undated, 1939-1989
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
B’nai B’rith Women is an international women’s group that promotes advancement for women and the Jewish community through education, advocacy, and social services. It began as an auxiliary of B’nai B’rith, the oldest Jewish service organization in the world. B’nai B’rith was founded in 1843 in New York by German-Jewish immigrants. The first ladies auxiliary chapter, Ruth Lodge No. 1, Daughters of Judah, was founded in 1897 in San Francisco and only operated for a brief period of time. In 1909 the Columbia Auxiliary founded the first permanent chapter of B’nai B’rith Women in San Francisco, though the Grand Lodge refused to officially recognize them. Women’s chapters of B’nai B’rith changed their name to B’nai B’rith Women in 1957. Throughout the 1980’s the group fought attempts to be absorbed by B’nai B’rith International, finally reaching an agreement in 1989 which acknowledged them as a separate and independent, self-governing organization affiliated with B’nai B’rith. In 1995 they changed their name to Jewish Women International.
The Greater Lynn Lodge was established in 1942. On August 22, 1942 B’nai B’rith Lynn Lodge’s Women’s Auxiliary received its charter, with Frances Chaletzsky serving as its first president. During the 1940’s B’nai B’rith Women began calling their auxiliaries chapters. The Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 participated in and organized numerous activities to further the group’s mission. This included hosting dinners and special events, fundraising, establishing youth education programs through their Hillel Foundation, focusing on citizenship and civic affairs programs, and offering services to veterans as well as participating in other veterans’ affairs programs. They were formed from a branch of the Anti-Defamation League of B’nai B’rith, an organization dedicated to the preservation of American ideals of democracy, and took part in B’nai B’rith Women’s “Dolls for Democracy” which aimed to teach children democracy and brotherhood.
- Material from the collection.
- Kuzmack, Linda Gordon. "B'nai B'rith Women." Jewish Women's Archive. Accessed on November 29, 2016. https://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/bnai-brith-women
- B'nai B'rith is founded in New York by German Jewish immigrants.
- A ladies auxiliary chapter, Ruth Lodge No. 1, Daughters of Judah, is founded in San Francisco and operates for a brief period of time.
- The Columbia Auxiliary founded the first permanent chapter of B'nai B'rith Women in San Francisco, despite the Grand Lodge refusing to give official recognition.
- The Women's Districts officially organizes the Women's Supreme Council as the national entity to coordinate the districts and chapters throughout the U.S.
- The Greater Lynn Lodge is established.
- August 22, 1942
- B'nai B'rith Lynn Lodge Women's Auxiliary receives its charter. Frances Chaletzsky serves as its first president.
- B'nai B'rith Women chapters gain recognition when women delegates vote for the first time at the B'nai B'rith Supreme Lodge Convention.
- Name for women's chapters is officially changed to B'nai B'rith Women.
- B'nai B'rith International attempts to absorb B'nai B'rith Women.
- B'nai B'rith Women passes a resolution affirming its status as a separate legal entity associated with B'nai B'rith.
- B'nai B'rith Women and B'nai B'rith International reach an agreement that acknowledges B'nai B'rith Women as an independent self-governing organization affiliated with B'nai B'rith.
- Name is changed to Jewish Women International.
.5 linear feet (1 manuscript box, 1 OS box)
B’nai B’rith Women (now known as Jewish Women International) is an international women’s group that promotes advocacy for women and the Jewish community through education, advocacy, and social services. The Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 began in 1942 as a women’s auxiliary of B’nai B’rith Greater Lynn Lodge. This collection contains an annual report, journals, awards, correspondence, news articles, photographs, and scrapbook.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Donated by Linda Tishler Burner, 2009.
Processed by Dominique Medal and Kelsey Sawyer, 2016
- Guide to the B'nai B'rith Women Greater Lynn Chapter No. 367 (Lynn, Mass.) Records, I-588
- Processed by Dominique Medal and Kelsey Sawyer
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script