JHC10. Fraternal Societies
Found in 14 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Aleph Zadik Aleph, known almost exclusively as AZA, was founded in Omaha, Nebraska in 1924 as a local social and service group for young Jewish men. Eventually the AZA separated itself from its role as the official youth auxiliary of B'nai B'rith and continues to operate today as the BBYO (B'nai B'rith Youth Organization). This collection contains correspondence, pamphlets, governance documents and promotional material from AZA chapters on the North Shore (Chelsea, Everett, Lynn, and...
Abstract Organized in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1931, the Alpha Delta Chapter was accepted into the national Alpha Phi Pi Jewish high school fraternity in 1932. After a period of dormancy, the Chapter was briefly reactivated in 1953 and an Alpha Delta Alumni group was formed in 1954. The material in this collection includes event programs and invitations, correspondence, photographs, news clippings and bulletins, Convention yearbooks, and a map and guide to Boston.
Abstract Although there is little information available about the Lynn, Massachusetts chapter of B'nai B'rith, internationally the organization is known for ensuring the continuity of the State of Israel and the Jewish people through education, advocacy and social services. This collection contains newsletters from the Lynn, Massachusetts chapter.
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Peabody Lodge No. 2765 was founded in 1969 as a local chapter of the larger B’nai B’rith International, which advocates for the Jewish people and works to combat anti-Semitism. The Peabody Lodge engaged in a variety of service and charitable activities in the Peabody area. This collection contains awards, correspondence, photographs, a scrapbook, and other miscellaneous materials.
Abstract The B’nai B’rith Swampscott-Marblehead Chapter No. 847 is a local chapter of B’nai B’rith International, an organization founded in 1843 that advocates for the Jewish people and the State of Israel and works to combat anti-Semitism. This collection contains a program for an installation and dinner as well as the chapter’s newsletters.
Abstract The Delta Phi Alpha Fraternity was a Jewish fraternity at Massachusetts State College (now the University of Massachusetts.) This collection consists of one copy of the Mogen David, a newsletter by the Delta Phi Alpha Fraternity. The newsletter focuses on pledges as well as appeals to alumni for financial support. News and tidbits about former and current members of the fraternity are also included.
Abstract The Independent Order of Brith Abraham was a Jewish fraternity society headquartered in New York City. It was founded in 1887 after breaking away from its parent society, the Order Brith Abraham (founded 1859.) As a fraternal society it offered sick, death and funeral benefits for members, with both male and female members. In 1981 it merged with B’nai Zion, which is no longer in existence. The Dr. Gaster Lodge, No. 689, was most likely named for Dr. Moses Gaster, a Jewish scholar and Zionist....
Overview This collection contains meeting minutes, transcripts, and semi-annual reports documenting the activities and administration of the George Peabody Lodge, No. 667 branch of the Independent Order of B'rith Abraham (IOBA). This collection also contains semi-annual reports to the U.S. Grand Lodge of the IOBA for 1927 and 1929. The collection was established by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore, previously known as the North Jewish Historical Society, through many separate donations of...
Abstract The Interfor Club of the North Shore was originally founded in 1930 by David L Winer, a Boston University Law School graduate, as the Brandeis Associates. Initially having twenty-two members who just graduated high school, the Interfor Club, which stands for Inter Collegiate Forum Club, began meeting at the Young Men’s Hebrew Association in Lynn. The collection is comprised of revisions to constitutions, event programs, financial records, photographs, scholarship information, member lists, and...
Abstract The Jecomen Club was a fraternal organization established in 1925 and based in Lynn, Massachusetts. Men over the age of twenty-one with a college degree were eligible to apply for membership. The group hosted both social and philanthropic events, including an annual fundraising theatrical production for the Jecomen scholarship fund. The material in the collection describing the club’s operations includes meeting minutes, photographs, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and program books.