Alpha Phi Pi, Alpha Delta Chapter (Lynn, Mass.) Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection consists of the records of the Alpha Delta Chapter of the national Jewish high school fraternity Alpha Phi Pi. Organized in 1931 in Lynn, Massachusetts, the Chapter’s dated records span from 1932 to 1993. Materials consist of correspondence, frequently to or from Louis Winer, event invitations and programs, copies of the "Alpha Delta News," photographs, and news clippings. The Alpha Delta Chapter constitution is also included, as well as a resolution adopted by the Chapter in response to the rise of Hitlerism. Materials produced by the greater Alpha Phi Pi organization include “The Beacon” National Convention Yearbooks (1939 and 1954), event invitations and programs, and a roster.
- undated, 1932-1993
- Alpha Phi Pi. Alpha Delta Chapter (Lynn, Mass.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
Alpha Delta was the Lynn, Massachusetts chapter of the national Jewish high school fraternity Alpha Phi Pi. Alpha Phi Pi was founded in 1920 by twelve high school students in New York. By 1932, it had grown to include 1,064 members across the country, produced a monthly publication, The Triangle, and hosted annual conventions.
The Alpha Delta Chapter of Alpha Phi Pi was organized in December 1931. It existed intermittently and in various forms for decades, with its last recorded activity in 1993. The group was organized by Lynn Classical High School student Louis Winer. Initially founded as a club because Jewish students were not allowed to join Classical High’s fraternity, it was accepted as a chapter of Alpha Phi Pi in 1932. Louis Winer was the Chapter’s first Chancellor. The Chapter’s advisors included Harry Weiner, the scoutmaster of Lynn Hebrew School’s Boy Scout Troop 4, from which several of the fraternity’s members also participated.
From 1932-1940, the Alpha Delta Chapter, comprising of students from Lynn’s Classical and English High Schools, met approximately weekly at Lynn’s YMHA. It held social events, such as dances, debates, and luncheons, and participated in the city basketball league. In 1939, Alpha Delta hosted Alpha Phi Pi’s annual National Convention, held at Boston’s Parker House hotel.
After a period of dormancy, the group was reactivated for a short time in 1953, with Louis Winer’s son, Saul Winer, installed as Chancellor. The Chapter met at Temple Beth El in Swampscott, and appears to have remained active through 1955.
An Alpha Delta Alumni group of the Chapter’s original members was formed in 1954. The Alpha Delta Alumni provided support to the high school chapter, attended its events, and held its own events.
Beginning in 1986, the Alpha Delta Alumni began to meet twice yearly, on the North Shore and in Florida. The last recorded activity of the group in this collection is a 1993 reunion, following Louis Winer’s death in that year.
- Material from the collection.
- "Lynn 'Y' News: Annual Youth Night." Jewish Advocate, January 12, 1934.
- Alpha Phi Pi founded in New York
- Alpha Delta Chapter organized by Louis Winer in Lynn, Massachusetts
- Alpha Delta Chapter accepted into Alpha Phi Pi
- First officers installed
- Chapter passes resolution regarding Hitlerism
- Louis Winer retires as chancellor, wins chancellor’s gold medal at National Convention
- Chapter hosts Alpha Phi Pi National Convention in Boston
- Chapter reactivated in Lynn, Saul Winer installed as Chancellor
- Chapter Alumni hold reunion, apply for Alumni Charter
- Alumni begin holding reunions twice yearly, in Florida and North Shore, Massachusetts
- Louis Winer dies
- Last record of alumni reunion
0.25 linear feet (1 manuscript box)
Organized in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1931, the Alpha Delta Chapter was accepted into the national Alpha Phi Pi Jewish high school fraternity in 1932. After a period of dormancy, the Chapter was briefly reactivated in 1953 and an Alpha Delta Alumni group was formed in 1954. The material in this collection includes event programs and invitations, correspondence, photographs, news clippings and bulletins, Convention yearbooks, and a map and guide to Boston.
Located in Boston, MA
Donated by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore in 2013.
Processed by Sophia Rehm, 2014
- Boston (Mass.)
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Greek letter societies -- Massachusetts -- Lynn
- JCC Association
- Jewish high school students
- Lynn (Mass.)
- Lynn Classical High School (Lynn, Mass.)
- Lynn English High School (Lynn, Mass.)
- Lynn Hebrew School Association (Lynn, Mass.)
- Maps (documents)
- Membership cards
- Morris High School
- New York (N.Y.)
- North Shore (Mass. : Coast)
- Parker House (Boston, Mass.)
- Programs (documents)
- Pruss, William
- Publications (documents)
- Ross, Sidney
- Solar, Philip
- Student activities
- Suffolk University. Law School
- Swampscott (Mass.)
- Temple Beth El (Swampscott, Mass.)
- Weiner, Harry
- Winer, Louis
- Winer, Saul
- Young Men’s Hebrew Association (Lynn, Mass.)
- Young Men’s Hebrew associations
- Zamcheck, Irving
- Alpha Phi Pi, Alpha Delta Chapter (Lynn, Mass.) Records, I-562
- Processed by Sophia Rehm
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script