Interfor Club (Lynn, Mass.) Records
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains documents from the Interfor Club in Lynn, Massachusetts. High school graduates involved in this organization pursued community service and received scholarships towards their education. The collection is comprised of revisions to constitutions, event programs, financial records, photographs, scholarship information, member lists, and detailed meeting minutes which outline the club’s daily activities.
- undated, 1932-2000
- Interfor Club (Lynn, Mass.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is in English.
This collection is open for researcher use. Please contact us to request access or to make an appointment to view this collection at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact email@example.com.
The Interfor Club of the North Shore was originally founded in 1930 by David L Winer, a Boston University Law School graduate. The Interfor Club, or “Inter-Collegiate Forum Club,” initially had twenty-two recently-graduated members from high school, began meeting at the Young Men’s Hebrew Association in Lynn. Their slogan was “Service to the Community.” During the Depression, the club developed a scholarship program, which helped their members continue their education, and they fundraised for the YMHA’s Camp Simcha by putting on plays and performances for the community. The annual plays went on until 1955, and the scholarship program lasted into the 1990s. During WWII, from 1941 and 1945, many members went off to serve in the army, and those left at home worked hard to keep the organization functioning. Meeting sporadically whenever the majority of the members were home from school, the Interfor Club was going strong well into the late 1990s, but no longer appears to exist.
- Materials from the collection.
- Interfor Club originally founded as Brandeis Associates by David L Winer.
- Annual plays and performances to benefit the Camp Simcha at the YMHA.
- Many members serve in the U.S. Army during WWII.
- 25th anniversary celebration.
- 27th anniversary retreat and celebration in New Hampshire.
- 50th Anniversary celebration.
1 linear foot (1 document box)
The Interfor Club of the North Shore was originally founded in 1930 by David L Winer, a Boston University Law School graduate, as the Brandeis Associates. Initially having twenty-two members who just graduated high school, the Interfor Club, which stands for Inter Collegiate Forum Club, began meeting at the Young Men’s Hebrew Association in Lynn. The collection is comprised of revisions to constitutions, event programs, financial records, photographs, scholarship information, member lists, and detailed meeting minutes which outline the club’s daily activities.
Located in Boston, Mass.
Donated by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore in 2013.
Processed by Sarah Raykhtsaum, 2014
- Benefit performances
- Boston (Mass.)
- Brandeis, Louis Dembitz, 1856-1941
- Fraternal organizations
- Interfor Club (Lynn, Mass.)
- Jewish students -- Scholarships, fellowships, etc
- Lynn (Mass.)
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Publications (documents)
- Receipts (financial records)
- Souvenir programs
- Universities and colleges
- Winer, David L.
- Young Men’s Hebrew Association (Lynn, Mass.)
- Guide to the Interfor Club (Lynn, Mass.) Records, I-563
- Processed by Sarah Raykhtsaum
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script