Skip to main content

Temple B'nai Abraham (Beverly, Mass.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: I-573

Scope and Content Note

The records in this collection were gathered by Roslyn Tanzer, president of the Temple B’nai Abraham Sisterhood from 1959-1961. They include programs and bulletins distributed by Temple B’nai Abraham to its members, as well as a few announcements and letters sent to the congregation. The collection also contains issues of the Voice of Sisterhood newsletter, printed between 1959 and 1961, and a few other circulars printed by the Sisterhood. A small group of photographs ranging in date from 1925 to 2008 is included.

Dates

  • undated, circa 1925-2008

Creator

Language of Materials

The collection is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Use Restrictions

There may be some restrictions on the use of this collection. For more information contact jhcreference@nehgs.org.

Biographical Note

Temple B’nai Abraham was founded in Beverly, Massachusetts by a group of local families who had been gathering in various homes for Shabbat and holiday services. In 1908, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts issued a Certificate of Incorporation to the congregation, which was then known as Congregation Sons of Abraham.

In 1912, the Sons of Abraham joined with the two other congregations in Beverly, Sons of Israel and Sons of Abraham and Isaac, in a new synagogue located at 37 Bow Street. The combined congregations were issued a new charter by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts under the name Sons of Abraham and Isaac. When built, the synagogue became known as the “Bow Street Shul” and was recognized as the first structure in Beverly built by Jews for Jews.

The Hebrew Community Center was annexed to the synagogue in 1930 and out of it sprang a number of social groups, including The Sisterhood and The Beverly Lodge of B’nai B’rith. The synagogue and community center became the foci for gatherings and activities for young and old. In 1945, the community center and synagogue were destroyed by a fire and were rebuilt on the same site.

The congregation eventually outgrew their Bow Street accommodations and built a new synagogue on East Lothrop Street in Beverly, where they are located today. The groundbreaking took place in 1961, and the building was dedicated in 1962. Also at that time, the congregation officially changed their name to Temple B’nai Abraham.

This collection was created by Roslyn Fliegel Tanzer, president of the Temple B’nai Abraham Sisterhood from 1959 to 1961. As president of the Sisterhood, she was present at the groundbreaking ceremony for the new synagogue in 1961. Previous to her presidency, she was on the Board of the Sisterhood as the Corresponding and Get Wells Secretary. Roslyn Fliegel was born on May 18, 1924 in Beverly, Massachusetts, married Louis Tanzer in 1953, and died on July 21, 2009. She is buried in the Sons of Abraham Cemetery.

References

  1. Material from the collection.
  2. "About." Temple B'nai Abraham (Accessed October 22, 2014), http://www.tbabeverly.org/about/>.

Chronology

1908
Congregation Sons of Abraham is founded.
1911
Congregation Sons of Abraham purchases property at 37 Bow Street.
1912
Congregation Sons of Abraham joins with Sons of Israel and Sons of Abraham and Isaac to become Congregation Sons of Abraham and Isaac.
1930
Hebrew Community Center is built as an annex to the synagogue.
1939
Congregation Sons of Abraham and Isaac changes its name to Congregation Sons of Abraham.
1945
The synagogue and community center are destroyed by a fire.
1947
Sons of Abraham Cemetery is dedicated.
1948
The Board votes to allow men and women to sit together at services.
1959
Roslyn Tanzer becomes President of the Sisterhood.
1960
Congregation Sons of Abraham purchases land at 200 East Lothrop Street for a new synagogue.
1962
The new synagogue is dedicated and the congregation changes its name to Temple B’nai Abraham.
2007
An interfaith cemetery is established.
2007
The interior of the synagogue is renovated.

Extent

0.5 linear feet (1 manuscript box)

Abstract

Temple B’nai Abraham is a Conservative congregation, originally founded in Beverly, Massachusetts in 1908 as the Sons of Abraham. The Hebrew Community Center was annexed to the synagogue in 1930 and incorporated social groups, such as the Sisterhood and the Beverly Lodge of B’nai B’rith. The congregation expanded to a new location in 1962 and officially changed their name to Temple B’nai Abraham. The collection was formed by a former president of the Sisterhood and contains Temple B’nai Abraham programs and announcements, Sisterhood newsletters, and photographs.

Physical Location

Located in Boston, Mass.

Acquisition Information

Donated by the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore in 2013.

Processing Information

Processed by Shannon Struble, 2015
Title
Guide to the Temple B'nai Abraham (Beverly, Mass.) Records, I-573
Author
Processed by Shannon Struble
Date
2015

Repository Details

Part of the Wyner Family Jewish Heritage Center at New England Historic Genealogical Society Repository

Contact:
99-101 Newbury Street
Boston MA 02116 United States
617-226-1245