Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract This collection contains materials related to the Lynn, Salem-Beverly-Danvers, and Swampscott-Marblehead chapters of Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, including a history of the Lynn chapter produced in 1993, newsletters from the Salem-Beverly-Danvers chapter, and notes, pamphlets, and other information contained in the personal binder of Swampscott-Marblehead chapter president Irma Levenbach.
Abstract The Jewish Family Service of the North Shore was founded by a group of Jewish women in the winter of 1897. This collection contains brochures of the Jewish Family Service 100th Anniversary Gatsby Gala in 1997, “Our Community Heroes” - Annual Community Service Awards and Celebration in 2003, 2004 and 2010.
Dates: undated, 1976-2010
Abstract The Jewish Federation of the North Shore was founded in 1938 in Lynn, Massachusetts with the objective to support organizations that helped enrich the Jewish community on the North Shore and abroad. After a period of declining donations and to consolidate services, the JFNS Board of Directors voted to merge the organization with the Combined Jewish Philanthropies in 2013. The collection contains correspondence, newspaper clippings and publications from JFNS, as well as a large group of...
Dates: undated, circa 1926-2007
Abstract The Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore (JHCNS) collected the records of the North Shore Jewish community and developed exhibits, cultural events, and publications to preserve and disseminate the history of the community. JHCNS’s records contain administrative documents, such as by-laws, deeds of gift, loan agreements, and fundraising paperwork, as well as documents related to exhibits put on between 1991 and 2002.
Dates: undated, circa 1870-2008
Abstract Richard Winer was born in 1927 in Salem, Massachusetts. An active member of the Jewish community, he was a past President of Temple Shalom and founder and former President of the Jewish Heritage Center of the North Shore. This collection includes a variety of marriage, birth and naturalization certificates, photographs, news clippings, and programs pertaining to family activities and family members, including Max Winer, Louis Winer, Benjamin Winer and Dorothy Winer.
Dates: undated, 1891-1999
Abstract At the time these photographs were taken in 1981 and 1985, Steven Kellerman was a machinist with an interest in synagogue history. This particular collection of photographs started with Kellerman’s visits to former synagogues in Dorchester and Roxbury, Massachusetts; the project expanded to include most of Massachusetts and other states.
Dates: undated, 1980s-1990s
Abstract Temple B’nai Abraham is a Conservative congregation, originally founded in Beverly, Massachusetts in 1908 as the Sons of Abraham. The Hebrew Community Center was annexed to the synagogue in 1930 and incorporated social groups, such as the Sisterhood and the Beverly Lodge of B’nai B’rith. The congregation expanded to a new location in 1962 and officially changed their name to Temple B’nai Abraham. The collection was formed by a former president of the Sisterhood and contains Temple B’nai Abraham...
Dates: undated, circa 1925-2008
Abstract Temple Shalom is an Egalitarian Conservative Synagogue in Salem, Massachusetts, formerly called the Sons of Jacob. The congregation was formed by European Jewish immigrants in the Salem area in 1898. This collection includes photographs of congregation members and activities, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, meeting minutes, and various publications.
Dates: undated, 1910-2006
Abstract Founded in 1846, the United Order of True Sisters (UOTS) originated in New York with the intent of increasing philanthropy and providing an outlet for women. In 1947, the United Order of True Sisters Cancer Services was founded to raise funds to support oncology centers. The material in this collection includes event programs, a certificate of life membership, and the correspondence of Sylvia Shapiro, vice-president of the UOTS.
Dates: 1948, 1990-2005